Friday, January 25, 2013

Considering the Loading


I may, or may not, have a dilemma. I've ten bikes to transport when I get into the move proper. In addition, I've got all my other crap. Furniture, clothes, pots, pans, dishes, books, and gear. Lots of gear.

When I look around, mostly I don't have that much stuff. Except for the bikes. They do take up a lot of space. Hence my dilemma – how am I going to fit all my crap into the moving truck? Contrary to some's wishes, I'm not leaving any bikes behind.

I've put my engineering mind to work I believe I've a viable scheme to fit everything in the truck. Before I get into that, perhaps I should do a run-down on the bikes at hand.

In no particular order:

Surly Big Dummy – this is my cargo/grocery getter bike.

Surly Cross Check – I've built this up as my single speed commuter. It sports fenders and a rear rack.

Schwinn Suburban (x2) – circa 1971. I picked up a “his” and “hers” for cheap at a consignment place. They are rideable now, but, I'll be doing some clean-up and putting new tires and some other stuff on them.

Specialized Myka – this is a relative's full suspension, women's specific, mountain bike.

Surly Long Haul Trucker – my touring rig. It has racks for and aft. Comfort defined.

Ellsworth Evolve – My full suspension, 29'er, fully geared, Shimano XTR everything, mountain bike.

Raleigh Team Raleigh – this I bought frame only, had sand-blasted, powder coated, and built up as a fixie. The frame is circa 1977.

Surly Karate Monkey – My hardtail, 29'er, single speed mountain bike.

Surly Moonlander – My fatbike. I orgininally got this thinking I'd be doing the Arrowhead 135. Maybe I still will – just not this year.

So, now, how to get these loaded? At first I thought I might build a rack out of PVC pipe. I think this will take up too much room. I thought I might just wedge them in between other stuff. I don't want them rubbing on the other stuff and vice-versa.

I've decided to go low tech. I'm going to place a 2 x 4 chuck of wood across the interior of the truck. I can put it up high enough such that I can bungee cord the handle bars of each bike to the board and have the rear wheel sit on the truck bed. This should work for all the bikes except the Big Dummy. Since it is as long as a tandem, it will need special packing.

Anyway, that's the game plan. We'll see what the reality reveals. I'll take pictures of the load and how this will come together. I'll post the pictures on here. I think this should work pretty well. Time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. I've watched the demo bike guys pack a sprinter van full of bikes several times. Easiest/quickest method they use is to leave all wheels on and just loosen/rotate the stem and bars 90 degrees. Then they stack them front to back alternating with a packing pad laid between each bike. Bungee/lash the whole shebang to the side of the truck to stay upright and voila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop the Ellsworth off at my house. You can pick it up in 4-5 years. No charge.

    ReplyDelete