Monday, February 25, 2013

Chilly Hilly Recap

Sunday I was up early to drive to Bainbridge Island.  On the agenda was the Chilly Hilly bike ride.  I picked up my packet at B.I.Cycle, affixed my numbers, and made my way to the start.  I lingered a bit in hopes a co-worker and son would find me.  But, at 8:00 AM, I was off.  Click on the pictures for a larger image.


The ride took me from the downtown area to farther reaches of the island.  I opted for the Surly Moonlander for the day's ride.  In hindsight, not the wisest choice I've made.


It wasn't long and the cars thinned out.  The scenery was wonderful.




Unfortunately, I can't show you much.  The battery on my camera died after only seven pictures.  I'll be replacing it soon-ish.

The "Chilly" part of the ride wasn't so much.  I'd a long-sleeved jersey, a wool jersey, and a rain coat on to start.  After the first respectable hill the rain coat went in the frame bag.  The "Hilly" part of the ride, was.  The ride was comprised of rollers and four (I think) steep and long climbs.  Horsing the forty pound Moonlander up those things made for quite a workout.

I left the start at 8:00 AM and rolled into the finish almost exactly at noon.  I did make a stop at the half-way food stop thing for a baked potato, banana bread, and a banana.  My butt was telling me I'd slacked off too much over the winter.  My legs felt fatigued but not wiped.


If you squint, you can see the Seattle skyline in the above photo.

I had a great ride despite the slow, heavy bike.  For those who've not ridden this ride, put it on your "to do" list.  The nice roads, the scenery, and the support make this a great early season ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment