Monday, July 14, 2014

Midwestern Trip

Here's the recap from my trip back to the Midwest to visit relatives.  A bit overdue, I know, but I've been busy.

I caught a ride to the ferry that transported me from Bremerton to Seattle.  From there it was a short walk to the Amtrak station.




They called boarding and I went on to find a seat.  Here's some really cool things about train travel - no TSA crap to go through, the coach seats are as big as first class seats on airlines but with even more leg room, no need to be seated pretty much at all so you're free to walk up and down the train to stretch your legs or pee or whatever, the food is infinitely better.


The downsides - it is slower to get where you're going.  The coach seats have a leg support flipper upper thing and they recline back, but, they are still not that comfortable to sleep in.


The train rolled through Washington, across northern Idaho, through Montana, and I got off in the 


land of oil - North Dakota.  Specifically, Fargo.  That was the closest stop to my final destination.


The game plan was to visit family and then take the train back.  However, upon arrival, I found out the pickup truck I was going to get was done and ready.  I cancelled the second half of the train ticket, rented a U-Haul truck and car transport, and was planning on bring back some furniture and the pickup.


It turned out the pickup developed some glitches so I left it.  I U-Hauled it back over two days.  This included an overnight west of Billings, MT at a rest stop sleeping in the Hotel U-Haul.  I made it back fine, unload the truck, and turned it in.

It was good to see family and to get the last of my crap less the pickup.  Another time, another trip.  It's not like I need it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment