Monday, March 4, 2013

Mussels in the Kettles

Saturday I was up early and on the road to make the 8:00 AM ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville.  On the agenda was the Mussels in the Kettles mountain bike poker run.

I made the ferry and loaded.





The crossing took about 30 minutes.  I quick drive to Coupeville and I checked in and received my swag.  Two co-workers joined me and we were off to the trail head.

At open intersections we stopped to get playing cards for the poker run.  That was fun but what I was really there for was to check out the trails on Whidbey Island.





At one point the course took us to a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, or more specifically, the Strait of Juan de Fuca.  Though there was no fog on the ferry trip, there was when we got to this overlook.  Oh well, it's all good.




We completed the poker run ( I had a pair of five and a pair of sixes - out of the money) and loaded up to head more into town and the annual Mussel Festival.

I bought a glass cup and a "passport" which entitled me to six samples of mussel chowder from various eating establishments.  I was supposed to go to each one, sample, and then vote for the one I liked best.  I must say, this was great fun.  Coupeville is an old town and the downtown is turn of the 19th to 20th century wood structures.




Though you can't tell it from the pictures, the town was mobbed with people attending the event.

When we were done mussel-ing around we headed back to the ferry terminal.  A weather front had moved in the and wind had come up considerably.  We could see the ferry making some maneuvers as it came in about 20 minutes late.  The high winds and high seas were making ferry travel, well, interesting.

We loaded and were underway.  Once clear of a protective point the boat starting rocking.  When we were well clear of the point the captain swung the ferry into the wind, and toward the Port Townsend ferry terminal, and that's when the boat starting pitching quite a bit.

We did land safely and I drove the remaining miles home.  I've put all the pictures I took HERE.

I enjoyed Whidbey Island a lot.  I'll be going back to explore more of the island and revisit the trails I rode.  I'll definitely be back for the 2014 version of Mussels in the Kettles.  The trip Saturday is exactly why I relocated to the Pacific Northwest.  If you're an outdoor type like I am, this is a great part of the country to be living in.

3 comments: