Monday, December 2, 2013

Key Pen 360 Park

Sunday I was anticipating puttering around the place doing mundane crap as the weather was supposed to be raining all day.  When I drug my carcass out of bed I was surprised that it was not raining.  Presto-change-o, mountain biking instead!

I'd heard about nearby Key Pen 360 Park and there'd been much trail work done there.  Sunday seemed the perfect day to check it out.  I already had the Surly Moonlander in the vehicle from Thanksgiving.  So, it was the ride du jour.

360 park is approximately 12 miles from where I live.  After grabbing breakfast at Whiskey Gulch I made my way to the parking area.

360 Park has one big gravel road loop.  Spurring off are some multi-use trails.  The multi-use trails are great for beginner mountain bikers.  Or a dude, or chick, can pick one and ride it as a warm up.  It is my understanding the mountain bike only trails have been added recently.


The gravel road is the red dotted line, the multi-use trails are the yellow dots, and the mountain bike only are the blue dots.  Click the picture for a bigger image.  To give you a size perspective, it is just over one mile from the parking area to where the mountain bike only trails begin.

After riding  a few of the yellow dot trails I pointed the bike toward the mountain bike only.  The trails are a nice mix of downhill sections, climbs, obstacles such as ramp drops, log pile roll overs, and skinnies.  Some of the downhill corners are very nicely banked.  Overall the trail had very good flow.

The bad news - the mountain bike only trails are not that long.  The good news - they're building more!  I ran into the dude heading up the building effort and had a good conversation regarding the trails there, building trails in general, and fat bikes.

If your from here or near here, these trails are well worth the trip.  Once more trails are built, word will get out and it will draw riders from farther away.  I certainly like the fact that within 15 minutes of leaving my place I can be on there trails.  As I'd mentioned, the trails are pretty new.  Though in very good shape now, they'll be even better once they've been more "ridden in" (hint, hint).

No comments:

Post a Comment