Thursday, January 16, 2014

Back On The Saddle

Sunday evening I dusted off the beloved Surly Cross Check commuter bike.  A single speed, sporting 72 gear inches, it was the perfect commuter bike for where I lived in the Midwest.  Now that I'm in the Pacific Northwest I was guessing the gearing might be a tad high.

Though I'm only in my first week back bike commuting, the gearing is not too high.  It is more like pretty well set for my actual commute and some training rides.  I probably wouldn't chose this bike for the Chilly Hilly, but for right around here it is working nicely.  The gearing provides some zip on the flats and also provides some burn in the quads during the climbs.

Speaking of the Chilly Hilly, I'll very likely make that run again this year.  Last year I took the Surly Moonlander.



This year I'm thinking the Surly Long Haul Trucker



but probably the Surly Big Dummy.  Either is geared well for hills.  Both have a Brooks saddle.  The Long Haul Trucker needs a handlebar re-taping job.  The Big Dummy,



with its Schwalbe Big Apple Tyres and a very long wheel base, rides like dream.  The Big Dummy is a bit of a chore to get inside my vehicle.  The Long Haul Trucker fits nicely on the rear bike rack.

Either way there much biking to be done.  It feels great to be back at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment