Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Boats

Recently I suggested I might taking a sailing class the second and third weekend in June.  After contacting and talking with the school, I've determined this class isn't the best one for me.

The class is more geared for directing students to racing.  In addition, the class is built around crews of two in the boats sharing duties.

I may, or may not, be interested in racing sailboats.  What I'm more interested in, at this point, is learning to sail - solo.  So, I've elected to pass on this particular class.  I've still my eyes open for a better class more suited to my needs.

If I really get the itch, I've decided to find a boat and take it out for some "on-the-job-water" experience.  I can always take a canoe paddle with and drop the sails and paddle back if I can't figure it out.  YouTube videos and books has been my "training" so far.  If I don't capsize, I'll probably be OK.

Though my sailing education is up in the air (and not in the water), my other boating aspirations are not.  I've decided my winter project will be building a 'yak.  Pygmy Boats, out of Port Townsend, WA, sells kits.



Pygmy Boats use the "stitch and glue" method to construct their kits.  The boats get glassed inside and out leaving a nice clear wood look.  They've kayaks in all shapes and sizes, a canoe plan, and a small row boat plan,  You can see all the models HERE.

A nice thing about Pygmy Boats is you can try any and all models out on the water.  They'll allow you to paddle around the marina to get a feel for their products.

Pygmy says, and dudes I know who've built a Pygmy, it will take 80 to 100 hours to complete the boat.  That will be a nice way to pass the winter monsoon season here.  I'm looking forward to the process as much as having and using the finished product.

In other news, with Memorial Day Monday, I've a four-day weekend this coming.  I've visitors coming.  The weather looks like it will cooperate at least some.  The time off will be nice.  Being outside enjoying will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment